On Second Thought This Tour Won’t Be About Sexual Assault
26 Jun, 2017
Bill Cosby’s publicity team have denied reports that his upcoming speaking tour is to educate young people about sexual assault allegations.
A publicist told CNN the focus was on restoring the comic’s legacy.
Mr Cosby narrowly escaped a prison sentence this month when a sexual assault trial against him ended in a hung jury.
The comic’s team had previously said that young people need to know the law around assault.
But on Sunday publicist Ebonee Benson told CNN the media was guilty of “sensationalism” over the allegations, and the tour.
“The town hall meetings are not about sexual assault. I will repeat. These town hall meetings are not about sexual assault,” she said.
Prosecutors plan to retry the case against the former star of The Cosby Show in about four months.
Another spokesman, Andrew Wyatt, had previously told WBRC-TV’s Good Day Alabama that the comedian would begin his summer motivational speaking tour in Alabama as early as July.
“This is bigger than Bill Cosby,” Mr Wyatt said on 22 June, adding “this issue can affect any young person, especially young athletes of today”.
“They need to know what they’re facing when they’re hanging out and partying, when they’re doing certain things that they shouldn’t be doing,” he told the interviewer.
Mentioned In This Post: